Recurrence Plot for binary variable?

General discussions and questions about recurrence plot and recurrence network related methods.
holistic
Senior
Affiliation (Univ., Inst., Dept.): Univ. Bochum
Research field: Neuroscience/Psychology

Recurrence Plot for binary variable?

Post by holistic »

I was wondering, if it is possible to compute the RP also for a binary variable which alternates between 0 and 1? I'm really not sure, if the phase space reconstruction makes sense in such a case :?
Norbert
Expert
Affiliation (Univ., Inst., Dept.): Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany
Location: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany

Re: Recurrence Plot for binary variable?

Post by Norbert »

Yes, this is possible. This is also called "recurrence on a nominal scale" or "symbolic recurrences". There are several studies already using this approach. The difference to the standard recurrence approach is that instead of a neighbourhood of some size ε a recurrence can now be defined by the exact match of x(i) and x(j). Embedding of such binary or symbolic series mean that we consider words of length m instead of reconstructing an m-dimension phase space.

Here is some literature related to this variant of recurrence:
  • C. Bandt, A. Groth, N. Marwan, M. C. Romano, M. Thiel, M. Rosenblum, J. Kurths: Analysis of Bivariate Coupling by Means of Recurrence, In: Mathematical Methods in Time Series Analysis and Digital Image Processing, Eds.: R. Dahlhaus and J. Kurths and P. Maas and J. Timmer, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, ISBN: 978-3-540-75631-6, 153–182 (2008). DOI:10.1007/978-3-540-75632-3_5
  • R. V. Donner, U. Hinrichs, B. Scholz-Reiter: Symbolic recurrence plots: A new quantitative, European Physical Journal – Special Topics, 164(1), 85–104 (2008). DOI:10.1140/epjst/e2008-00836-2
  • P. Faure, A. Lesne: Recurrence plots for symbolic sequences, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 20(6), 1731–1749 (2010). DOI:10.1142/S0218127410026794
  • P. beim Graben, A. Hutt: Detecting Recurrence Domains of Dynamical Systems by Symbolic Dynamics, Physical Review Letters, 110(15), 154101 (2013). DOI:10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.154101
holistic
Senior

Post by holistic »

Thank you!

Is this approach implemented in the matlab software (crqa), i.e. when I just compute the RR,LAM,DET asf. for a binary variable as normally done with my continuous variable?
Norbert
Expert
Affiliation (Univ., Inst., Dept.): Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany

Post by Norbert »

There is nothing to be implemented further. If you have only a binary time series, you just need to ensure that your threshold is smaller than 1. This will give the same results as using the identity relationship (i.e., threshold = 0).
holistic
Senior

Post by holistic »

Ok..thanks..just to be sure. I attached a screenshot of an analysis with a binary timeseries. Here, the treshold is 0.2 and I used euclidian norm. Is this correct? I assume I can interpret the values of RR, DET asf. in the same way as with a continuous variable?
Attachments
example.png
example.png (38.94 KiB) Viewed 21139 times
Norbert
Expert

Post by Norbert »

I would suggest to use the option "nonorm" to avoid the centering and standardisation of the data.

When using embedding dimension of 1 the results should be the same for Euclidean and Maximum norm.

The interpretation is similar but be aware that there is no phase space trajectory. We could also consider a phase space that is highly discretised (due to the binary time series). The interpretation depends, of course, strongly on the kind of data and the considered system.
holistic
Senior

Post by holistic »

I see :). Thanks a lot!