3rd International Recurrence Plot Symposium Montreal 2009

Information and discussion about the next international symposium on recurrence plots.
Norbert
Expert
Affiliation (Univ., Inst., Dept.): Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany
Location: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany

3rd International Recurrence Plot Symposium Montreal 2009

Post by Norbert »

3rd International Recurrence Plot Symposium
Recurrence plots at the crossroad between theory and application: A flexible approach for studying complex systems

Montreal, Canada
August 26-28, 2009

We would like to draw your attention to the third international symposium on recurrence plots, which will be held in Montreal this summer.

The commonality among human cells, stock markets, cities, bridges, forests, and social communities is that each form complex systems consisting of nonlinearly interacting units, which are hierarchically organized in time and space. The objective of the third recurrence symposium is the exchange of knowledge among scientists investigating different classes of complex phenomena by means of recurrence analyses.

Recurrence plots (RP) form an efficient strategy for both visualizing and quantifying nonlinear spatiotemporal dynamics and have found applications in various fields. The flexibility of the RP approach resides notably in its robustness regarding nonstationarity and transient dynamics even in noisy signals. While theoretical works on RP have now reached maturity, the approach is at a crossroad in terms of expanding its potential to the study of empirical systems.

The RP approach could help to tackle questions regarding the behavior of complex systems, but also to contribute novel hypotheses on the structure and functioning of these systems. Scientists from various research fields are invited to attend the symposium and investigate their favorite research questions through the use of recurrence plots.

Participants are invited to present their recurrence plot related work.

For more information and registration please visit: http://symposium.recurrence-plot.tk/

Deadline for abstract submission is May 1st, 2009, and the deadline for registration is June 30th, 2009. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

With deep sorrow we must inform you that Joe Zbilut unexpectedly passed away on January 10, 2009. He did a pioneering work on recurrence quantifications and further developed the methodology on numerous dynamical systems which helped popularize the methodology across scientific disciplines. His untimely departure leaves an unfillable void in the field. With Joe's death we lost not only a bright and energetic scientist, but also a good friend who helped many others.

The recurrence plot symposium in Montreal will be dedicated to the memory of Joseph P. Zbilut.

Kindest regards,
Lael Parrott
Norbert Marwan
Raphael Proulx
Charles L. Webber, Jr.
Rui Prado
Junior
Affiliation (Univ., Inst., Dept.): Inst - Comando Geral de Tecnologia Aeroespacial

Re: 3rd International Recurrence Plot Symposium Montreal 2009

Post by Rui Prado »

Dear Dr Norbert Marwan

Congratulations

I am researcher in RVH, when I began my studies and want to use the RP as a tool to analyze the data.
The collection of the RR interval shall be in pilots of fighter Brazilian air force.

I have no system that can analyze the data, if you please help me is I will be eternally grateful,
With the symposium, unfortunately I can not participate, because I learned that the Sait shortly.
But that is not to want to participate and submit my results.

Thank you very much

Prof. Rui
Rui Prado
Junior
Affiliation (Univ., Inst., Dept.): Inst - Comando Geral de Tecnologia Aeroespacial

Re: 3rd International Recurrence Plot Symposium Montreal 2009

Post by Rui Prado »

Dear Dr Norbert Marwan

sorry
I am researcher in HRV (heart rate variability)

tanks a lot